Tuesday, February 10

Recently Finished Book Archive

Invisible Lives--Anjali Banerjee (Meh. This was too 'modern chic lit' for me--simplistic grammar and vocab populated by shallow characters walking around in an even shallower plot. I was hoping for a bit more from this book--it had potential, and I figured (when I picked it up) that a book centered around the beauty of saris and fabric would at least be worth reading. Oh well, at least it wasn't awful or scary. 2/5)

Little Brother--Cory Doctorow (This book was a fabulous quick read. Some of Doctorow's stuff requires a bit too much leap for me to really believe--my fictional futures aren't always so wonderful--but the paranoid near future of Little Brother seemed spot on. Definitely in the same vein/story lines as V for Vendetta this book is definitely a recommended read. Makes me wish I was little more interested in being a computer nerd. 2/4)

Anne's House of Dreams--Lucy Maud Montgomery (Finished the series of this, I think? Sentimental, but satisfying. 2/3)

Cheese: from start to finish--Claire Kreger (We haven't actually made cheese yet [it's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be to get larger quantities of non-ultra high pasteurized milk]...but when I'm hungry and I don't know what I want to eat, I often open this book and drool a little on myself.)


Gifts from the Kitchen--Jane E. Gentry (This book is going on my "titles to look up when I'm buying used books from half.com list". It's chock-full of Extra-Fatty American Treats and pictures of said goodies all wrapped up as gifts. Nothing to spectacularly original, and I'm sure I could find all the recipes in other cookbooks, but sometimes it's nice to have a book that you know will give you a good recipe for the party you forgot you rsvp'd yes for. 1/29)

Victory of Eagles--Naomi Novik (This is the latest in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, and I think I might like it the best after the first? Hard to say. I never get super into the battle-y bits--I'm just not too interested in war--but I like her shtuff. Good quick reads, nothing to make you think too hard, characters that walk and talk and feel real. 1/28)

No comments: