Friday, November 19

Day 1 - The Kindness of Strangers


I feel like this is one of the harder slips of paper I stashed in that empty hard toffee box. It's hard to talk about something like this without going into trite-greeting-card-land, and I'm feelin super self-conscious about it. But, I am truly thankful for people I don't know that affect my life in a positive ways, so I'm gonna power through the awkwardness here...

Moving around so much has taught me a lot about how to treat people I don't know, and I'm thankful for that too. We moved pretty much every two years as a kid and until I started dating Retardo I moved pretty much every two years as an adult too. It made me a) good at turning strangers into friends, and b) really really thankful that people on average are actually pretty nice.

Looking back on my childhood, I'm thankful for all the people who gave me candy that wasn't filled with poisons when I dressed up as a Pippi Longstocking, a Witch, Cleopatra, or any number of other characters on Halloween. I remember in sixth grade one gal who even gave me a discount when I didn't have enough cash to afford the present I wanted to buy someone--I think I was something like fifty-nine cents short. I can't remember the present or the person's face, but I will always remember her kindness. There are so many urban legends of 'stranger-danger', that looking back on my childhood I'm really thankful that so many people who had the opportunity to take advantage of my vulnerability didn't. Thanks, Strangers of my Childhood!

No comments: